The latest SWTOR live event, The Grand Acquisitions Race, has been going on for a couple of days now. These impressions are by no means final, since the event is still going on. So lets get to my likes and dislikes.
- Story! Unlike the Rakghoul event, there is a deeper story to go with this event. That includes cut scenes and voice overs.
- That big Chevin hologram is awesome.
- There are some new and interesting mechanics. For instance, yesterday I manned a big blaster cannon.
- There are actual clues you can discover to help you find the items. Happening upon a group of smugglers looking at a hologram is one example. It will narrow it down to an area, but you still have to search.
- I'm a fan of having different parts of the event unlock daily. It gives me something to look forward to each day when I log in.
- The story kind of drops off after the first few missions. I really expected the daily unlock to bring another piece of it, but so far it has not.
- I'm glad they gave clues as to where you can find items, I just wish there was more of a reason for them being there. Why was item X in a random crate rather than somewhere that made sense?
- The rewards are an odd mix. You have Bowcasters and Sand People social gear. What do either have to do with the Chevin? No clue.
- There is some unrest with Shady transients which no one (in-game) seems to have mentioned yet. You'd think they would.
There are at least a couple more days left in the event, so we will see what happens. Overall, I like it and feel it is an improvement over the Rakghoul event.