I was not a big fan of the original Fable, so I was a bit nervous about asking for Fable 2 as a Christmas gift. With the help of other blogs, I managed to work up the confidence. So far, I am glad that I did. I have only put a few hours into Fable 2 so far, but I am really enjoying it.
After playing MMO's lately, a single player RPG is quite refreshing. Some notes:
- Story is nice. I am a fan of a good tale of revenge.
- Graphics are decent. Often times they do seem quite blurry to me, maybe my vision is going?
- Combat is simple but fun. You really feel like you are laying down some smack on the fools.
- The sandbox elements are great and do not feel tacked on at all. I am quite surprised at this, as I was not expecting to enjoy those aspects.
- The dog works out well. I was skeptical about your companion, but it is actually a good game mechanic. No mini-map need, as the dog can provide the cue. Great idea.
- The 'adult' elements feel quite unnecessary. This game feels like a kids (not little kids) game from the start with the Harry Potter type music. I'm not sure if there is more too it, but it feels like a gimmick.
- The B button for Will powers is killing me with the townsfolk. B means cancel to me, so I try to use it to close the radial sometimes, but instead it activates a power and scares the townsfolk.
- Yay for fast travel!
- Trophies are pretty neat too.
So Fable will be yet another drain on my MMO time, but only temporary as it has an end.